Take a Bite Out of Britain: 5 Must-Try British Snacks
When it comes to snacks, the Brits have some unique offerings. From savory pasties to sweet treats, you’ll find a variety of delicious snacks in Great Britain. Here are five must-try British snacks that will tantalize your taste buds and leave you wanting more.
1. Scotch Eggs – Scotch eggs are a pub classic and one of the most popular British snacks. The snack is made up of hard-boiled egg encased in sausage meat then coated with breadcrumbs and deep fried until golden brown. You can find scotch eggs at pubs all over the UK, but they also make for an easy snack to make at home.
2. Pasty – If you’re looking for something savory, try a pasty. This pastry-based dish is filled with beef, potatoes, swede (turnip) and onion before being baked until golden brown and crispy on the outside and warm and fluffy inside. Perfect for lunch or dinner!
3. Oatcakes – Oatcakes are a type of flatbread that originated in Scotland but is now eaten all over Britain. The oatcake is made from oats blended with flour, butter, salt and baking powder before being cooked into cakes on a griddle pan or baking sheet. These cakes can be served sweet or savory depending on your preference—enjoy them as part of a meal or as an afternoon snack!
4. Eccles Cake – An Eccles cake is another classic British snack made from layers of flaky puff pastry filled with currants then glazed with sugar before being baked in an oven until golden brown and crispy on the outside and gooey on the inside. Enjoy this tasty treat warm with a cup of tea!
5. Banoffee Pie – Last but not least, no list of British snacks would be complete without banoffee pie! This creamy dessert consists of layers of banana slices between biscuits topped off with whipped cream and sometimes caramel or chocolate shavings — perfect for anyone who has a sweet tooth!
There are many other must try British snacks and my personal favourites didn't even make the cut for this peoples 5 must try list. If it were completely up to me, I would have added Pork Scratchings, and Jaffa cakes to the top of the list but who am I compared to a nation of more than 60 million people? So there you have it—five must-try British snacks that will tantalize your taste buds! Whether you’re looking for something savory or sweet, these snacks will surely satisfy your cravings while giving you a glimpse into British culture too!